Thursday, December 19, 2013

Five Minute Pattie Boyd Hair Tutorial


Not long ago one of my Tumblr followers asked me if I could do a tutorial on one of the hairstyles Pattie Boyd was seen wearing in the 1960's. And I thought I'd give it a shot. Unfortunately my hair is too long to replicate this gorgeous 'do, so my completed hairstyle is merely an adaptation, more reminiscent of Miss Boyd's barnet on her wedding day to Beatle George Harrison in 1966. But if you have hair at a similar length to Pattie's in this adorable 1964 picture of her, the look should be spot on if you follow my seven simple steps. And it only takes five minutes!


YOU WILL NEED:

- A good brush
- A 'rat tail' teasing comb
- A black hair-tie
- Thick black ribbon

Note: This style works best one to two days after washing your hair.
For medium to thick hair. 

STEP ONE:

Tame your hair by giving it a good brush. 

STEP TWO:

Brush hair (excluding your fringe/bangs) away from your face and towards the back of the head. 

STEP THREE:

Run your two thumbs from just above your ears to the upper back of your head, separating your hair into two groups. Make sure it is quite smooth with your brush!

STEP FOUR:

Pull it right up into a smooth high ponytail, right on top of your head.
Secure with black hair tie.

STEP FIVE:

Gently pull at the side of the ponytail and fan your hair out to come down around the sides of your face.

STEP SIX:

Slide the teasing comb into the top part of your hair above the fringe and gently push forward to create a buffy look. You could call this a cheat's way at getting your hair to look a little teased when you are in a rush or on the go. Make sure it is quite even all around.

STEP SEVEN:

Tie in a thick black ribbon, brush your hair and fringe so it falls nicely, spritz a little hair spray and ta-da!

If you like, and if you aren't in a rush, you can always also curl your hair at the ends for a sweeter look. You can also improvise and swap the ribbon with a cute hair clip, or even wrap an extra bit of hair around the hair-tie like Cynthia Lennon, who was also seen wearing a similar hairstyle in the 1960's. Give it a whirl.

Let me know if you need further clarification. I hope you enjoyed!

1 / 2

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tutorial, you are the image of Patti! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lucy! I've expressed this before and I am compelled again. No one in the blog universe has a more attractive looking page, and the images used in today's post are spectacular. I am especially pleased to see these superb pictures of you in your step-by-step hair styling tutorial. By the end of it you looked like Pattie's twin sister!

    Happy Friday, dear friend Lucy, and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lovely of you to say! Thanks Shady, and you have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  3. Such a good tutorial, you really do look like Patti! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaaw but that hairstyle looks so super adorable and fabulous on you!
    i love it!
    kiss,mary
    http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww this is so sweet! You're so pretty Lucy!
    I have thin hair, so this wouldn't work for me unless i used wig pieces, but otherwise, a very comprehensive and clear tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Catherine, you've made my morning!
      That is a very good point, I didn't think of hair thickness - I shall add it in, thank you. I'm glad that the tutorial was clear and comprehensive. I've tried to do them in that past but I think I just made things sound way too complicated for anyone to understand. So that makes me glad!

      Delete