Saturday, March 8, 2014

Old Makeup, A Mug, Broken Shoes and A New Table




Not long ago my sister came up from down south to stay with us. Before she went back home we all went to the movies together and saw "12 Years A Slave". Have you seen it? My goodness, what a movie. It certainly makes an impact upon you and I found it very emotional to watch. This here is what I wore. One of my latest wardrobe additions, a mini dress with a pattern on it that I couldn't resist. If you were to look inside my wardrobe you'd find an armful of dresses with curtain-pattern-looking-prints on them. Not only did I give my old signature 60's makeup a whirl but also these fringed, suede sandals. I'm not big on sandals, or flip-flops (or as we Australians call them, 'thongs') for that matter. I'm sure most Australians would call me crazy for that. It's been said before. But I quite like these. Not sure where they came from, they were given to me by my Dad, but I'd never worn them before and thought they'd go well with my outfit.  With just my luck when I came out of the cinemas I discovered the right sandal had been broken whilst we were watching the movie. Drat. Superglue?

In other news I got this gorgeous mug the other day at a local second hand store for 50 cents. It wasn't in a set or anything, just on its own as it has a little chip on the rim, but I thought it looked lonely and deserved a nice home where it could be appreciated so I bought it. It's now been sitting on my desk for a week for I think it's so groovy looking. Are you one for buying things in a set or do you not mind the odd knick knack here and there? The last picture is of the top of a lamp table that my cousin made for me. It is made from camphaloral tree and the patterns in it are so beautiful. 

22 comments:

  1. Awesome mug! it just shouts GROOVY.
    Lovin' the eye makeup you're wearing, it literally looks like you just stepped out of the 60s :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look swell, girl! Such a cool yet casual look! I love the eye make-up^^
    "12 Years A Slave" certainly deserved the Oscar for best movie of 2013, it really moved me, it's such a raw and harsh film... Enraging. Michael Fassbender and Lupita's performances blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Nancy! I'm glad that you like the make-up.
      Yes, I think so too. It took me a while to realize that it was Michael Fassbender. When I finally did I couldn't believe his acting!

      Delete
  3. The first portrait picture looks like it could be a page from a photoshoot of an old magazine, that style eye make up really suits you. The curtain pattern comment made me laugh, I can relate to that oh too well! Just yesterday my step father told me my dress looked remarkably like an old set of cushion covers he used to own. Such a shame about your sandals, I've had it happen many times! Try and get an epoxy glue rather than super glue which is too brittle, an epoxy will still allow the material to flex as it should and will last longer.
    What a lovely mug. I personally like to collect knick knacks like that to store my pencils and things in, it makes my desk a more inspiring place to look at than a pen pot would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! It makes me glad that others know the wonders and joys of dressing like mid-century furniture and room decor! Ah, thank you for the tip. I shall definitely give that a go for the shoes.
      Yes, I am actually doing something similar at the moment. All my coloured pencils are currently sitting in one of my Abbey Road mugs. I think they look much nicer than pen pots too.

      Delete
  4. I love the dress! It reminds so much of the curtains they had in my first and middle school halls. They schools were built in the sixties and they never updated the curtains as the windows were humungous! Love the make up too.
    The mug is wonderful and I don't mind a mish mash of styles, I like an eclectic mix rather than a matching set. I also don't mind if things are broken, I have a Union Flag clock from the sixties that was my mum's which was long ago over-wound but it always has a place with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! I'm sure I would just love those curtains then!
      An eclectic mix sounds very nice. The Union Jack clock sounds brilliant and how lovely that it has been kept with you after all those years.

      Delete
  5. Lovely dress! I your sandles were purple you could pretend they were like patties sandles she wore in San Francisco!
    I dont really like wearing thongs myself either, i feel like a bit of a bogan! haha

    Lovely mug too. I dont mind picking up odd cups in the opp shop. i think it looks nicer when you can get a colour scheme going or a general theme like say florals, then that way it looks a bit more fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! Oh what I would give to have a purple pair of sandals just like Pattie's.
      I agree with you, it does look nicer when there is a colour scheme. Most things I pick up are usually orange or yellow. I love happy colours!

      Delete
  6. love this print! Dress is stunning!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog
    P.S. would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And I'm popping over to check out your blog now :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous make up Lucy! I love the mug as well, I do like buying things in sets but I would definitely pick up a single mug if the print caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! And I'm glad you like the mug too. I can't pass up anything from the 60's or 70's that has orange on it.

      Delete
  8. I love those sandals, hope you manage to get them fixed, fringing and suede are so Woodstock!
    Your dress looks beautiful and so do you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Vix! I hope that I manage to get them fixed too!

      Delete
  9. i love love love that pattern of your dress, i just today found a fabric online with a very similar pattern and wasn't sure to order it or not, but now seeing it on you i think i definitely should get it!
    love and kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Mary! What a coincidence, I cannot wait to see what you make out of the fabric!

      Delete
  10. This is lovely! I think you would look great in some of our vintage dresses :)
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pattern of your dress !

    ReplyDelete