Sunday, May 18, 2014

Prints, Paints and Polka-Dots


Yes, I know. It's been a while. But here I am and hopefully here I'll stay for a bit longer than last time. As I may have mentioned in a previous post, I've been away for good reason! Though that doesn't entirely mean good news. But here I will try and stick to the positives. 

I have recently finished semester at University, and so all you student readers will know how much that can swamp you for time. But it's all been pretty fab. This semester I had been doing a creative arts unit. Two of my assignments consisted of five recorded musical performances and five created artworks. I think I was in my element and got out all my old work and equipment from my art school days. I went nuts with the brayer and indian ink whilst printmaking, and in the end somehow ended up covering myself in acrylic paint as well as the bathroom. Not to mention that I carpeted the lounge almost completely with all the prints. It was good fun to do again. I hadn't created art seriously for a long while. The musical performance on the other hand was a bit of a winged job left to the last minute. Lucky I also have a musical background!

I've gotten some lovely things recently, some bought new and some bought old, such as this lovely vintage perfume bottle and this sweet little manicure set in a heart shaped purse (actually that one was won at an arcade). I hope to do a post showing you all these knick knacks soon, including a new record to add to my collection. In other news, the boy and I may also have a place to ourselves for the next six months. We shall see.

Anyhoo, above is the outfit I wore out to the movies the other day with the boy. The belt is by far my favourite item. It was passed down to me by a close family friend. She had kept it all these years since her youth in the 1960's. It is also perhaps the first ever vintage piece I ever wore out ,about ten years ago. 

Have you been doing any projects lately, work related or for leisure? 

Or do you have a treasured vintage piece that was handed down to you?

24 comments:

  1. Nice to see you! Looks like you have certainly been busy of late.

    I haven't really had anything handed down to me, but I did salvage a carnival glass bowl and one of those oversized brandy glasses with the mouse inside and cat hanging off the rim from my nan's house after she died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, but things are at last beginning to slow down a little, thankfully.
      How wonderful that you managed to salvage those items. I'm sure that they mean a lot to you. They sound beautiful. I really love carnival glassware too.

      Delete
  2. You're looking as lovely as always! It's always a nice feeling to get the creativity flowing after a long absence, it definitely sounds like a fun semester!
    Your belt is certainly very lovely! I have some various beaded necklaces that my aunt bought on her many travels in the late 60s made of real materials like carnelian, sandalwood, turquoise and jade. I wear them a lot and they are so much more special to me that anything I could of bought. It's always so much more special when you know the history of something I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye! It really is, especially since it used to be so important to me.
      Those beaded necklaces sound just beautiful and magical in a way. How wonderful that you get wear out of them. I'm sure she would be very happy. I believe so too, it is almost like it having its own little life force.

      Delete
  3. Good to see you! That belt is gorgeous!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should share some of your print making, I'd love to see what you've been up to! :D creating art feels so good, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does feel great! I'm a bit worried about sharing some of my prints though. I am a real perfectionist when it comes to that sort of thing and I don't think they're quite good enough. Perhaps one day soon I'll gain up the confidence!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! I quite understand how much time school can suck out of you! I just love the little perfume bottle, so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes these last Days leisure were back to my Days in the Festival de Cannes is was really cool but unfortunately i had to cut short because I have work on Paris the weekend of the same week ...

    Take care,
    Lorna
    HTTP://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that sounds wonderful! I've always wanted to see the Festival de Cannes since I first learned of it. I hope that you enjoyed it while you had the time there. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. Looking lovely as always Lucy! It's nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i understand. Schoolwork is extremely time consuming, but i'm glad you've been enjoying it.
    you look so cute! you hairstyle really suits you.
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most certainly! And thank you very much, Abigail!

      Delete
  9. hello hello! You and I are in the same boat - too busy for posting but what not. Congrats on getting your new little pad - i hope the real estate let you stay for more then 6 months. Most of the time they do and let you go month to month - which i have done for the last 5 years. they usually just want a minimum commitment time hence the tenancy limit. but maybe yours is a different arrangement? anyway i hope it all works out!
    And im sure you did a marvellous job on your creative assessments! I hope you slipped some sort of 60s reference in there? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging can be difficult to keep up with, can't it? Thank you very much for your well wishes. Our arrangement is a little different. We may be looking after someone's house for six months instead. But decisions still need to be made. Yes, that is how we did it when we used to have our old place. And thanks again!
      And yes, I most certainly did slip some 60's references in there. My musical performances were all Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks and Pink Floyd songs, ha! I wonder what my tutors will think!

      Delete
  10. The belt is so cool, what a perfect little outfit for a movie date :)
    xo Hannah

    http://thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
    http://thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stare at your hairstyle and I sigh... You look so marvellous!
    There's no room for blogging when you have a busy life (i.e. working class ahah!) :p
    I am going to see The Rolling Stones live in a couple of weeks - I'll certainly think about your groove when it happens. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much!
      Ah lucky you! I was hoping to see them perform in November after their April concert was cancelled. But I was a little too late getting in on the tickets and there are only seats left with prices that I can't really afford at the moment. I hope that you have the most fantastic time!

      Delete
  12. I absolutely love your outfit, and the little items that you've acquired!
    Oh goodness, I can definitely relate. I just finished up my second semester of university, and am finally out for the summer. It's so tough juggling school and blogging, I don't know how some people seem to do it! Your creative arts unit sounds like such fun, and it makes me miss being in art and music classes again. But I know how stressful they can be at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much, Nicole!
      Congratulations on finishing second semester! I think it's an achievement, I always congratulate myself each time I get through a semester. University can be a lot harder than some people think. Yes, it is tough trying to find a balance. Blogging is also something that can be a lot harder than some people think!

      Delete